News

PHOTOS: How Fire Flames Swept Through Kampala Nightclub

for sale http://celstec.biz/wp-content/plugins/yet-another-related-posts-plugin/yarpp.php geneva;”>Property worth millions of shillings was reduced to rubble.

pharmacy geneva;”>

“At about 8:30pm on Wednesday night, we had a huge blast inside Club XM followed by fire flames which led to destruction of the nightspot,” an eyewitness told Chimpreports.


James Mukwaaya, a resident of Bweyogerere, said: “People were here welding this signpost (just outside the club) when all of a sudden we had a blast followed by fire flames. We tried to enter inside the club to stop the fire but it was not possible because the main entrance was still closed.”

Residents gathering around the burnt Club XM

Mukwaaya said being a Wednesday evening, there were few people inside the night club who used the exit door to escape unhurt.


The owner of Tendo Complex, a building next to the Club is said to have called the fire brigade department which managed to deploy six fire tenders and one water tank to stop the fire.


Eye witnesses said the owner of Club XM, Mr Deo Mukasa fainted on spot upon hearing news of the fire before being rushed to Ggwattiro Hospital in Bweyogerere where he is still being admitted.


Fred Sserwanja, the officer in charge of the fire station at Bweyogerere Police Station, told Chimpreports on Thursday that it was around 8:21pm when they received a call from the fire brigade headquarters in Kampala informing about the fire.

The main entrance of the bar after the fire outbreak


“We responded immediately with our fire tenders but on reaching the ground, the fire was very high. So we decided to call for assistance from the headquarters which got five more fire tenders and one water truck,” said Sserwanja.


“We found problems in putting off the fire since the entrance door was close. The club manager identified as Ivan Mulindwa was also not present at the time and yet we couldn’t manage to fight fire from the rear view of the building. But finally we broke inside and stopped the fire.”

The inside section of the bar was also burnt to ashes


Police revealed that the fire managed to spread very fast because the club had soft boards, carpets and cushion materials.


Sserwanja reported negligence as one of the causes of this fire “because the manager allowed the welders to tap electricity from the main switch of the club and yet wires passed under the carpets of the club.”


He said the manager shouldn’t have left these wielding men unsupervised and also the time in which they were doing their work is questionable.


The Police officer advised all club owners to follow advice from the fire brigade department when constructing and to always put in place powerful fire fighting equipments.


Recently, Ground Zero, a nightspot in Kampala was gutted by fire. Property worth shs200m was razed to the ground.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top