SCVU Reach Uganda Cup Final


cure geneva;”>Following a first leg 1-0 win, pills the draw in Bombo was enough to seal a historic place in the finals, approved just one year after joining the top league football in Uganda.

Header advertisement

On the pitch, there was no doubting SCVU were the more cultured outfit.

Without the goal scorer from the first leg Anthony Bongole, Head Coach Alex Isabirye introduced Jackson Kibirige to the starting line-up. And indeed SCVU made a solid contribution to an enterprising opening.

Patrick Edema and Fred Agandu combined well within the first ten minutes. Agandu’s cross was met by Edema but it only lacked better direction.

It was Agandu that got the momentous opportunity as SCVU took the lead on 15 minutes. The right back closed down on Katabi Jamad stealing the ball in the process before laying off for Edema.

The forward who prior to the semi-final had netted five times in the competition calmly placed his shot past Kalumba John for the lead.

With a goal down at home, Simba now needed to score thrice. But they lacked the deftness to attack more.

SCVU on the other hand pushed more men and balls forward and should have been awarded a penalty when Henry Lopidia’s shot struck Mike Achiga’s hand in the area. Centre referee Ali Kalyango saw nothing of that.

Despite being limited going forward, Simba fancied their chances from distance. Godfrey Sentongo tested Ali Kimera just before the break.

He was allowed a lot of space on the left. His shot well directed towards goal was only stopped by the full stretch from Kimera. That was Simba’s only realistic attempt in the first period.

With the final well in sight, Isabirye opted to withdraw Savio Kabugo and Manko Kaweesa in the second half as any booking would deny the duo a chance to play in the final. Nestroy Kizito and Godfrey Katerega both returning from injury took their places.

But after the hour mark, Edema should have sealed the game. Razak Ewatu’s brilliant through ball found the unmarked Edema who had just the keeper to beat. His chipped effort though was parried away by Kalumba.

As the clock ran down, a bit of complacency begun to creep into SCVU’s backline and they could have been punished in the 74 minute. Denis Iguma and Ali Kimera’s miscommunication almost gifted Alex Witaba an opportunity to score. Kimera though reacted quickly to save.

Simba still continued to make the most of their few chances and only a last-ditch intervention from Iguma denied Marvin Mbago a shooting opportunity.

But the substitute finally broke SCVU’s defence after being played through by Katende Ezekiel. Mbago powered his shot from 20 yards past Kimera on 83 minutes to level the score.

Still the Army side needed two more goals to take the game. They however were undone by the sending off of Katende. His clumsy challenge on Iguma forced referee Kalyango to show the forward the exit.

Simba’s day was done thereafter as SCVU celebrated at the final whistle. A first Uganda Cup final appearance was sealed with a 2-1 aggregate win. SCVU will now await the winner between URA FC and Vipers to know their opponent in the final set for 26th May in Masindi.

FT: SIMBA 1-1 SCVU (P.Edema 15’ M.Mbago 83’)

*SCVU advance 2-1 on aggregate



SCVU: A.Kimera, F.Agandu, L.Kasadha, S.Kabugo (Kizito), D.Iguma, M.Mpuga, M.Kaweesa (Katerega), R.Ewatu, H.Lopidia J.Kibirige (Gaale), P.Edema

SUBS: E.Kalyowa, E.Feni, N.Kizito, G.Katerega, M.Gaale, N.Semakula, B.Agere

SIMBA: J.Kalumba, S.Sebalu, S.Sekito, M.Achiga, J.Kabale, S.Sebuza, A.Witaba, G.Bagoole (Chwa), R.Nakyenire, G.Sentongo (Katende), S.Swaleh (Mbago)

SUBS: H.Sempagi, I.Wava, M.Mbago, A.Chwa, J.Katabi, E.Katende, M.Dongo

OFFICIALS: Center – Ali Kalyango Assts: Peter Musoke, Khalifani Kanakulya


Header advertisement
To Top